The youth and gambling
The findings of the research conducted by Nomisma in collaboration with the University of Bologna and the Unipol Group have been presented.
- 48% of young people between the ages of 14 and 19 have approached gambling and, among these, 6% have developed problem gambling behaviour.
- Just under one in two (46%) minors had at least one gambling opportunity in 2018.
- The first three reasons why young people are led to gambling are: “Curiosity” (26%), “Fun” (23%) and “Chance” (20%).
- 8% of young gamblers identify advertising (seen on TV, in newspapers or other media/free vouchers found online) as the reason for their gambling initiation.
- Advertising mostly affects children under the age of 15 who attend vocational schools (11%) and regularly (at least once a week in the last month) take addictive substances (14%) or energy drinks (12 %).
Read the complete Press Release.