Indexes and Certifications
The performance of Sustainability activities is constantly monitored, representing inclusive and transparent grounds for confrontation with the various stakeholder categories.
The main objectives are the improvement of results, the promotion of Group transparency and visibility and the monitoring of industry trends and competitor performance.
The central role of Sustainability in the Unipol Group strategy is recognised in the findings of various agencies specialised in Sustainability rating. This is due to selection criteria and analysis methods that combine environmental, social and governance (ESG) aspects with economic and financial evaluations. Overall, the recognised strengths of the Group refer to:
- the policy on transparency in customer communication and the correctness of the responsible sales practices adopted;
- the consideration of environmental and social aspects in the asset management of its investment portfolio;
- the advocacy process for identifying innovative public-private partnerships to counter the damage caused by climate change;
- the careful and responsible management of human resources.
Under industry best practices, both the management of direct environmental impacts – in particular those related to the energetic consumption and related emissions of all Group’s property for own use – and the integration of environmental concerns in the non-Life offer of insurance companies emerged.
- At the end of 2017 the Unipol Gruppo security is present in 3 international SRI Finance indexes
- ECPI Euro ESG Equity
- Standard Ethics Italian Index
- Standard Ethics Italian Banks Index
- At the end of 2017 the UnipolSai security is present in some of the principals international SRI Finance indexes
- MSCI World Esg Leaders
- FTSE4Good Global
- FTSE4Good Europe
- EURO STOXX Sustainability
- STOXX Europe Sustainability
- STOXX Europe Industry Neutral ESG
- Standard Ethic Italian Index
- ECPI Euro ESG Equity
- ECPI World ESG Equity
- ECPI Global Developed ESG High Yield Corporate Bond
In recognition of the commitment to sustainability and innovation in construction, at the end of December 2012 the Unipol Tower in Via Larga, Bologna, obtained LEED® GOLD certification, the highest level of the voluntary international system that provides independent environmental sustainability certification for buildings.
Energy efficiency is a matter that has been pursued in a structured manner for many years at Unipol: measures for consumption governance and control that guarantee transparency and constant monitoring are accompanied by certification for the consumption management of 17 buildings belonging to the Group and used for core business, in accordance with the ISO 50001 Standard. For the certified buildings, quantitative targets to reduce consumption have been signed and existing technology has been updated to favour the achievement of the same.
These targets, which are annually verified by the certification body, are joined by targets for the reduction of directly related CO2 emissions, and are shown in the Sustainability Plan.
Within the context of the UnipolSai Open Pension Fund, the Unipol Group adheres to the European SRI Transparency Code promoted by EUROSIF (European Social Investment Forum) in order to promote proper relationships with investors and to place them in a position to understand SRI fund policies and practices. At present, since the UnipolSai Open Pension Fund is a supplementary pension scheme and not a mutual fund, Eurosif may not yet formally certify this Code, despite the fact it meets requirements.
For more information, please visit http://www.eurosif.org/.